Blasphemy is currently in the top 30% of lookups on Merriam-Webster.com.
: great disrespect shown to God or to something holy
: something said or done that is disrespectful to God or to something holyBlasphemy and distinguishing sins - Leviticus 24:10-23
11 The son of the Israelite woman blasphemed the Name with a curse; so they brought him to Moses.
1. The name of Lord is Holy. “Our Father, which art in heaven, HALLOWED be thy name”. “Thou shalt no take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.
Lev 24:12 They put him in custody until the will of the LORD should be made clear to them.
1. The young man was locked up, in jail, in waiting for blasphemy.
2. They weren’t sure what the punishment or consequences should be but they knew they should ask God for direction.
3. Moses was a prophet and this was a nation that was created and led by God.
4. Moses got a clear answer from the Lord.
Lev 24:14 “Take the blasphemer outside the camp. All those who heard him are to lay their hands on his head, and the entire assembly is to stone him.
Lev 24:15 Say to the Israelites: ‘Anyone who curses their God will be held responsible;
Lev 24:16 anyone who blasphemes the name of the LORD is to be put to death. The entire assembly must stone them. Whether foreigner or native-born, when they blaspheme the Name they are to be put to death.